Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Blub ... blub ...

I am almost literally drowning in paper this week.

A little while ago I was assigned the role of "chief editor" for our division. In real terms, what this means is that virtually every document, presentation and "formal" e-mail to be shared outside our group gets run by me first.

While I am usually quite happy to use my (considerable) powers of pedantry for the greater good, I have been suffering a deluge of documents - electronic and paper - over the past few days as a big deadline looms. I am juggling, at current count - two documents that need to be finalised before tomorrow morning, one presentation and one document that need to be reviewed by the end of day tomorrow, and another document that needs input by Friday. One more item should arrive on my desk(top) sometime on Tuesday ... and I don't dare think any further ahead than that.

At the same time, I'm trying to keep up with my own (full-time!) job - which involves a fair amount of "quick-and-dirty" research, a lot of writing, much bugging of people for information, and many, many, MANY meetings.

Actually, I think I might just about be able to cope if one-or-another of my colleagues didn't keep popping into my office every half-hour to let me know about THIS, or make sure I was aware of THAT, or reassure themselves that I haven't forgotten about THIS THING OVER HERE.

Don't get me wrong ... I really like my job. I work with smart, funny and supportive people, the work itself is pretty interesting, and I'm intrigued by the process and tactics involved in achieving consensus, support and, ultimately, approval. Overall, I am the proverbial happy camper.

I'm to the point now, though, of being strongly tempted to put a sticky-note on my computer saying "Gone for tea. Back in 2010. Until my return, just write the damn thing yourself."

Well, at least the tea is a possibility ....

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, October 05, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Yikes.
That sounds similar to my job at the moment, only closer deadlines!
Good luck and good tea.

 
At 11:11 AM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

That does sound rather grim. I wish you energy and speed in all your tasks, so that you can get to that tea faster!

 
At 8:30 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Look missy, if this is another reason for you to neglect your blog, just stop now. Work can wait. We can't.

 
At 7:16 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Hope my next post makes up for the "non-Ink-ness" of the past little while ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home