Friday, July 21, 2006

Sucker-Punched

We found out last night that my brother-in-law and his partner are going to have a baby – the first in this generation of our families. For the record, they are both great people who will make marvellous parents and I am filled with profound gladness that, all being well, I will soon get to be an auntie to a very special little person.

I am thrilled by the thought of being Auntie Ink, and am already making plans about what I will knit for the baby (or babies, I suppose). Even though BIL & Co live across the country and I probably won’t even see the ankle-biter terribly often, just the thought of having a niece or nephew to brag about makes me puff up with excitement and pleasure.

But that isn’t all there is – even though it should be.

This is why.

I have dreamed for a very, very long time now of holding my own baby in my arms, of feeling a tiny creature announce itself with a kick from deep inside, of snuggling a warm, sleeping, trusting body on my lap, of clapping madly when the second sheep on the right remembers her (or his) line in the school play, of decorating birthday cakes and knitting mittens and shopping for the perfect back-to-school outfit. I have imagined what it would be like to see my mother’s eyes, my grandfather’s frown or my own pointed chin settled in a soft round face, or how I would giggle about how my child and my husband both play with their hair when they’re concentrating. I have wondered what it would be like to be there every day as an extraordinary little being grows and learns and becomes both more wise and more foolish. And I have been afraid I wouldn’t be good enough to do the job right.

In short … I have dreamed of being called Mummy or Mom or Mama. But it’s never going to happen. Not for me. Not ever for me.

The doctors have never worked out what is wrong, have never determined why my body will not – cannot – nurture a new life. And so, for four too-long, too-short years of infertility treatments (running the full gamut, including some experimental stuff) every month brought new hope and then it brought new pain. Finally, the toll – emotional even more than financial – grew too high to bear and we agreed it was enough.

That was five years ago. And I still grieve. I grieve for my lost child who never was.

Most of the time, I don’t think about it. There are twinges of course, every once in a while, but I am not jealous of other women’s good fortune. In fact, I get a great deal of pleasure watching a mother carrying her sleeping child out to the car, hearing children laugh as they play in the park, or even cuddling a co-worker’s new infant. I am tremendously, and unreservedly, happy for those woman who can do what I cannot … and I wish them all – each and every one – safe and well.

My grief is a thing apart from the world. It belongs to me and is mine alone. It is in some ways the child of my heart, created and sustained by – and for – me. It is, I suppose, a memorial to my little one that I have never seen.

I thought, after five years and more, that I had grief contained. I took the joy that I feel for other women, other mothers, and believed that I’d put my life in perspective and was moving on. I really thought my grief had become a gentle thing, settled and rounded by long acquaintance, no longer capable of anything more than a gentle ache of nostalgia and “what if.”

Until last night. My brother-in-law’s wonderful, exciting, unexpected news has made me realise I have not finished grieving. Not by a long shot.

And so today I have cried. And I have cried. And I have cried. And I know now that part of me will always be crying.

And the rest will dance.

11 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, July 21, 2006, Blogger standing said...

Ink: What a beautiful and honest post. I very much feel for your loss. It sounds as though your journey has been a long one.

I say cry. Cry as much as you need and as often as you wish. Grieving is such an essential part of life, it is being honest and honoring yourself.

For what it's worth, if another avenue were to open and a wee-little could call you Mum....well, they'd be darn lucky to have you.

I will be thinking of you, Auntie Ink ..........xoxo

 
At 9:48 AM, July 23, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

*great big hug*

beautifully written.

 
At 5:42 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Thank you for sharing that part of yourself with us. What an incredibly powerful post.

 
At 8:56 AM, July 24, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Congrats for them and you!
I love being an uncle. I'm sure your Auntiness will be just as good.

 
At 3:43 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Very moving post. I am so sorry that you are hurting, and although I can never fully realize your grief, I agree that something like that will probably never be completely numbed. But I hope you will be able someday to find joy in a little one who you are blessed to call your own, even if your blood does not run in his/her veins. Sending good thoughts...

 
At 4:58 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for your good wishes and support. I'm glad to have such a great community of blogging friends to lean on.

After a couple of days of shameless wallowing and self-indulgence, my natural optimism is already starting to resurface ... so I will no doubt be back to my bright old Ink-y self again in the very near future.

After all, you can't choose what happens to you in this life ... only what you do about it. Right?

 
At 6:31 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

Wow, that was so honest. And in a way, part of the beauty of the human experience is contained in the grief and the crying, and the laughing and the dancing...

Eloquent and moving post.

 
At 1:16 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger EarthMother said...

QWhat a beautifully written post. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I think grief always exists in one form or another -- I have moments where I grieve for the babies I've lost. So sorry to hear about the hellish years you went through trying to get pregnant.
Congratulations on your imminent auntie status! What a lucky child he or she will be!

 
At 8:52 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Wow - somehow I missed the ENTIRE SECOND HALF of that!
Thanks for writing about what you went through.
Every May, I grieve for the one I didn't have in '93. It's tough, but it helps to build us into the people we now are.

 
At 5:58 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Thanks, folks, both for your sympathy and your wisdom.

Grief and pain are indeed a part of the human condition, and (paradoxically) I am grateful to know them. If you can't hurt, you can't love. If you can't feel sorrow, you can't feel joy.

Even though life HURTS sometimes, it is better to feel than be numb.

 
At 10:28 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

Your post conveys your deep sorrow, I never wanted to be a parent, but you've allowed me to understand the yearning. My heart goes out to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home