Thursday, July 06, 2006

Almost Clear

I am breathing again. At last.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply to my last post. Your advice was kind, sensible and, needless to say, more than a little timely.

It has also been very useful.

My battle against the Strangling Vine is (forgive the pun) perennial – as it is for most people, I think – and each attack seems to require a slightly different combination of weapons: physical; psychological; emotional; social; and, spiritual.

So, how did I beat back the vine in this exciting episode, you ask?

First, I took a big step forward (psychologically speaking) and GOT HELP with some of the things on my plate. Although I didn’t actually ask for the support (one step at a time, folks), I did accept it – gratefully! – when it was offered. And I do NOT feel guilty, either. [Break-though! Yeah for me!]

Second, I bought four new novels – fun, adventure/mystery-type paperbacks with intelligent, attractive heroines, amusing heroes and slightly over-the-top villains. And I put my feet up on the sofa and read them – one after the other.

Third, I went back to the basics. Made sure I was eating well, SLEEPING regularly, and poking my nose outside every once in a while to breathe fresh air and get some exercise.

Fourth, I took the time to make sure the house is, if not clean, then at least tidy. Chaos distresses me.

Fifth, I played with the cats. A lot.

Sixth, I put on music that moves me – in body, mind and/or spirit – and let it … well … move me.

Seventh, I’ve given myself permission to daydream again.

Eighth, Himself and I went to the local farmer’s market on a sunny Saturday morning and bought a huge basket of ripe strawberries, some garlic scapes, leaf lettuce, and some fresh herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary and mint). We ate strawberries until we could eat no more, planted the herbs in some lovely terracotta pots, and chopped the scapes into a green salad.

Ninth, I’ve avoided the news, insofar as possible. The world will just have to get along without me worrying about it for the moment.

Tenth, I’ve spent a little time every day simply being conscious of what’s going on in my own head. Sometimes I write things down, sometimes I just think things through.

And,

Eleventh, I took a few days off work this week to paint the bedroom – three walls in “Belvedere Cream” and one in “Green Tea.” The trim is “Snowball.” It looks gorgeous.

6 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger standing said...

YES!! This is wonderful news. Accepting help...such a big one for us ladies sometimes, but what a difference it can make.

It sounds as though you are slowing and enjoying and breathing and being.......Novels and herbs and colors, oh my!!!

It makes my heart swell to hear of how proactive and self loving you have been and I am just so glad to hear it. Thinking of you fondly and often*.

 
At 4:13 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Wow! That's a great turn-around. Inspiring to hear it. Glad you took several small steps and even broke some boundaries...now THAT'S progress. Good for you! Enjoy!

 
At 3:47 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Standing - Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm still working on the perfectionist tendencies ... but every baby step helps!

Susan - Thanks. It's sometimes hard to remember that the little things can make all the difference sometimes.

Sister - When I run out of bookcases, I just start stacking them on the floor!

 
At 10:14 PM, July 07, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

That sounds like a great way to decompress.
:)

 
At 10:50 AM, July 08, 2006, Blogger CoffeeDog said...

Glad to see you are making it thru.

I am impressed you painted a room in a fews days time. Takes me forever!

 
At 10:07 AM, July 10, 2006, Blogger ink said...

St. D - Well, it certainly doesn't hurt! :)

CoffeeDog - I really enjoy painting. Not so much the prep and clean-up, admittedly, but the actual motion of putting paint on a wall and making sure it's smooth and even is very soothing. Something about the repetition and the sleek shininess of wet paint, I think ... or maybe it's got something to do with the fumes ... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home