Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Spinning

Back when I was in school I wondered (less often than I should have, no doubt) whether there was, in fact, any point at all to the assignments we were given. During those times, it seemed like we were all – teachers, students, parents – caught up in this huge machine that required nothing of us except that we produce: students produced assignments, teachers produced marks and lectures, and parents produced anxiety (and snacks, of course). The objective of all this effort was simply activity itself – keeping the wheels moving – and any residual skill or knowledge was an inadvertent by-product (for instance, did you know the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird is the only hummingbird species that migrates as far north as Ontario?). Ultimately, the products themselves didn’t matter except insofar as they were evidence that we were, in fact, “working.” Well, except for the snacks. Snacks always matter!

I still get that feeling sometimes, despite the fact that I generally like my job as a public servant and sincerely believe the work I’m doing will ultimately benefit Canada and Canadians. Just like when I was in school, I know in the grand scheme of things there’s a point to these activities that fill my days – but I can’t always make the connection between the big picture and all the piddly day-to-day stuff. Why am I reviewing this workplan when I know it will be trashed within two weeks at the outside? Why am I providing feedback that no-one has time to read, much less incorporate? Why am I summarising this 130-page report? Why am I spending two hours at this meeting? Why do I spend time filing my e-mails? (ok – that’s actually satisfying … I know, I’m weird!)

It feels funny to look back on my day knowing a good chunk of it was spent not really getting anywhere, but simply making the wheels go round. And sometimes it scares me how good I am at keeping things turning and how little time I really spend making the connection to where we’re supposed to be going. The truth is much of the time I love the process as much as the product; and yet, I strongly suspect that this is not necessarily – or at least, not always – a good thing. (Unlike snacks, of course!).

I’m honestly not sure where I’m heading with this post … like most things, I began without a good sense of where I wanted to get to … I suppose I’m just wondering if other people experience this same sense of disorientation and disjunction – or is it just the product of my own slightly off-kilter mind?

***********************
Additional Note - I'll be out of computer range for the next couple of days. Don't worry, I should be back by Monday!

8 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

I know what you mean. The doldrums of the pointlessness of our lives. Sometimes I think that we are so out of sync with what we were evolved to do (hunt and gather) that it's difficult to find satisfaction.

 
At 9:09 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

I think in school we were made to do work to teach us to think properly. At least, that's what good teachers taught us.
We spin our wheels at work because we aren't allowed to risk thought. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

 
At 9:54 PM, May 13, 2006, Blogger standing said...

I suppose we all have work and we never really know if it goes noticed. I'm REALLY fortunate to work for an artisan who gives loads of verbal and monetary appreciation when possible.

My personal struggle, lands in the fact that I work for a designer. We aren't changing lives. We make accesories. All local all by hand.

As you did not know where you were going, I too am not sure where I am going with this comment . But I would like to say that I'm sure you are doing lovely things for the people of Canada. And although no one is coming up shaking you hand, it's ggod to know you are doing something that,in the long run, will have an impact.

 
At 11:05 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

I think there is no worse feeling than feeling that you are doing 'busy work' at the office. Still, especially with government reports, it's essential to have written records and even if it's not immediate, those records are vital [says the librarian]

 
At 1:03 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Tornwordo - That's a really interesting point. I hadn't really thought of it as something to do with "fighting our biology."

St. D - Good teachers help us to think for ourselves, but I suspect that's almost DESPITE the education system - which seems to have less respect for thought (especially independent thought) than it does for regulation. (I mean no disrespect to teachers, BTW!) Actually, I feel like I have MORE opportunity - and obligation -to think critically in my job than I ever did while a student.

Standing - I think you have my dream job! :) There's something about creating a unique artifact (artefact?) using the resources of one's own mind, heart and skill that offers a powerful visceral satisfcation. Don't get me wrong, the intellectual challenges of my day job are satisfying as well, but there's very little opportunity to see the direct fruits of one's labour. Funny how we can always find something to fret about, isn't it?

Snooze - I am a BIG believer in creating and maintaining records, and I even (sort of) understand why our processes work the way they do. Still, every now and again, I struggle with a powerful sense of confusion about what I am doing and why. Perhaps it's because this work is so different from what I had planned for myself "way back when."

 
At 1:51 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

I think I know what you mean also. I struggle with this a lot... I do sometimes find something strangely satisfying in doing random research and in archiving stuff for future reference....but the idea of a paper trail for a paper trail's sake makes me nuts. And I get frustrated if I don't know WHY I am doing something. I always need to know the ultimate point of the task, or the goal, or the main thrust of a project...otherwise I am not driven to actually do my best. Even if I am making a tiny cog, I need to know where it will be used and for what---THEN I can feel the purpose of my efforts.

 
At 5:49 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Susan - Oddly, I quite enjoy "busy work" sometimes, but, like you, find it quite difficult to become engaged without a strong (or at least moderate) sense of the purpose of the exercise.

 
At 10:34 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

one of the projects i'm working on right now has me dealing directly with an external stakeholder who directly delivers service. it's kind of a nice change from all the other policy wonk shite i normally do (although, i kind of like that stuff too...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home