Thursday, April 20, 2006

Spring has sprung

… How I would like to feel …

in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little lame baloonman

whistles far and wee

and eddyandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old baloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and
the
goat-footed

baloonMan whistles
far
and
wee
(e.e. cummings)

… How I’ve been feeling lately …

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
(T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land)

… How I feel today …

I am sitting in the middle
Of a very muddy puddle
With my rubbers full of muddle
And my leggings full of mud.

As my jacket and my sweater
Go on slowly getting wetter
As I very slowly settle
To the bottom the mud.

I find that a person with
A puddle in his middle
Thinks of mostly in the muddle
Is the muddiness of mud.
(Author Unknown)

6 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Man that TS Eliot dude can write can't he? :)

Happy Spring. Time to install the screens in the windows of our souls.

 
At 2:08 PM, April 20, 2006, Blogger standing said...

This post is absolutely grand!!!

"I find that a person with,
A puddle down in his middle,
Thinks of mostly in the muddle,
Is the muddiness of mud."

There couldn't be a kinder way to say it.
When I was a kid I used to sit in the muddy bank by the river, that's where I did all my crying. Then one day the crying just stopped & the river became nothing more then natures kitchen for the best mud cookies ever.

Sometimes we just need a good release before the mud can reshape itself. * I'll be thinking of you kindly.

 
At 11:08 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

Great post...I love T.S. eliot and cummings...though the last one was quite humourous. Hoping you get out of the muddle and back onto dry land. :)

 
At 1:03 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Susan - "screens in the windows of our souls." That's deep, that is. Think I might spend a little longer wallowing ...

Standing - Thank you. It's nice to know other people appreciate fine (and not-so-fine) poetry too. And I can certainly use all the kind thoughts I can get!

Epi - Eliot and cummings always make me aware of what great writing really is ... and that I am a talentless hack. :) ... Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of doggerel.

 
At 9:13 PM, April 23, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Wonderful to read such delightful poems. I often forget just how great poetry [amend that to 'good poetry'] is.

 
At 6:50 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Thought that one might appeal to you!

Snooze - I'd certainly consider SOME of it to be great poetry. And the rest is just plain old fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home