Sunday, March 19, 2006

Balancing act

Well, it looks like my life will continue to be a bit of a balancing act for the next few weeks. I saw the orthopedic surgeon late last week, and although he's not concerned about the bone mending cleanly, I'll be on cast and crutches for the next 21 sleeps(at least). The doctor seemed competent and nice, if overworked, and I'm not entirely sure that saying he was "really happy about what [he] was seeing" on my x-rays was appropriate given that it was a picture of my demonstrably broken fibula!

However, the point is that the surgeon isn't particularly concerned about my prognosis as long as I don't do anything mind-bogglingly stupid. No guarantees that will happen, of course, but I'm doing my best to be careful. In fact, I'm actually getting quite good at manoeuvering on crutches - even up and down stairs! - although I'm constantly trying to find somplace to put my "sticks" so they'll be handy but won't actually kill someone (me included).

I am also continuing to work - partly from home and partly from the office - on a special project that needs to be completed (surprise, surprise) by the end of the month. I suppose I could have just bowed out under the circumstances, but it's a proper writing gig (which comes around all too rarely) and they really don't have anyone else who could do the work on such short notice. It's interesting work at least, but, as ever, I wish I had more time to do things properly.

Oh yeah, I've also just been sent notification that I've made it off the waiting list for a week-long Project Management course that takes place ... wait for it ... the last week of March.

Under the circumstances, I'm honestly not sure how much time I'll have to blog for the next couple of weeks. I'll be doing my level best to keep up with your posts at least ... just so you don't forget about me entirely! :)

9 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, March 19, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

I'm glad to at least read that your bone is healing well.

 
At 7:40 AM, March 20, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

Aw, don't worry, take your time, get through it, we're not going anywhere. Wouldn't the broken fibula pic be great for HNT?

 
At 10:26 AM, March 20, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Too true! If my timing (or at least my balance) had been better I wouldn't be in this pickle in the first place.

Snooze - Thanks. You're not half as pleased as I am! ... Well, ok, maybe a bit more than half - :)

Tornwordo - That is such a great idea! Unfortunately, I don't have the pics as jpegs. Plus, I'm pretty sure x-rays would have to count as FULLY naked.

 
At 1:24 PM, March 20, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Oh my goodness---I just read your last few posts about your escapades---I am so sorry for your injury! Here's to rapid healing and graceful crutch usage in the mean time! Hang in there...

 
At 12:01 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Susan - So glad you dropped by, and thanks for the kind words and good wishes. I was starting to feel neglected!

 
At 7:52 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

Ink! I've been so busy that I haven't beem able to follow-up with people. So sorry to hear about the broken fibula. Glad it's healing well and that you are back on the mend. I agree with Tornwordo about the fibula xray being a great HNT pic. :)

 
At 10:39 AM, March 23, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Epi! - Thanks for your kind words. I'll have to see what I can do about the x-ray.

 
At 2:09 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

I hope you don't mind, I stumbled upon your blog when I noticed your comments on Snooze and Susan's blogs.

I also noticed that you're a Cannuck like Snooze and St. Dickeybird which is mondo cool!

I spent a lot of time in Ottawa growing up. I was up there last summer on business and a lot of childhood memories came flooding back as I was walking along the Rideau Canal.

 
At 8:16 AM, March 24, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Perplexio - Welcome, and feel free to drop by anytime! I am indeed a born and bred Canuck - although I am much, MUCH less cool than either Snooze or St. Dickeybird ... and apparently much, MUCH less coordinated.

I'm pleased you have good memories of Ottawa. It realy is a very nice little city, if not quite as exciting as Toronto or Montreal. I enjoy strolling along the Canal too, but since I'm a terrible skater I haven't ventured onto the Canal Skateway during the winter. Still enjoy watching the crowds, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home