Friday, February 03, 2006

What to do in Ottawa when it rains

I have declared today an official "Rain Day," and - thanks to the wonders of remote access - e-mailed my boss that it's too miserable to come into the office and I'll be working from home instead.

So, instead of being in my cramped ... er, cozy ... cubicle under florescent lights that make me look like the hag from hell, trying to decide what evil concoction to purchase for lunch from that strange place they keep claiming is a cafeteria, and ignoring the joker who sits on one side of me and the energizer bunny who sits on the other, I am at home in my pjs with a large cup of tea trying to keep the cats from "helping" me type. Oh yeah. Did I mention it's Friday? Bliss!

Well, almost.

I am - I'm sure you'll be happy to know (and just in case my boss ever runs across this blog!) - actually working. As a good federal civil servant, I am reading the Gomery Report - all two hundred pages of it - and flagging items which could have an impact on some of the activities I'm involved in. On the whole, it's not a bad read. Justice Gomery avoids most of the "government-speak" I suffer with on a daily basis (and, if I'm honest, occasionaly create). His conclusions and recommendations seem pretty reasonable and, what's more, practical -- that is, if they're actually implemented. Which, of course, remains to be seen.

While it's not precisely an "ideal" day, all in all, hanging with the good Judge is a small price to pay for a day spent with pjs, tea and pussycats!

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, February 06, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Amazing how technology has allowed such flexibility in work. I love it.

 
At 4:46 PM, February 06, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Ok, you've got a point. But you should see the kind of thing I NORMALLY read!

Snooze - I'm with you on that one. The trick is remembering who's boss - you or the technology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home