Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I want vs. I should

After a couple of weeks of relative traquility, my workload is starting to creep up again. It's still nothing compared to the expectations and deadlines of my old job, but I'm still finding myself a bit squeezed for time these days. (Of course, it doesn't help that I'm not exactly the quickest person -- in any sense of the word -- on the face of the planet.)

So, here's the problem. I have had a blast roaming around the blogosphere these past few weeks, and, to be honest, I DON'T WANT TO STOP. There are far to many of you interesting souls out there, and I look forward to dropping in on your thoughts and lives (and occasionally launching a volley of long-winded wit & wisdom on some unsuspecting victim) each day.

But reality -- and my boss -- are tapping on my shoulder and pointing to the (metaphorical & literal) piles of paper on my desk. Something's gotta give here, and, as far as I can see, there are three options:

1. I restrict my blogging time to the lunch-hour and the odd tea-and-cookies break (boring, but practical);

2. I quit my job so I can take up a new career as a freelance blogosphere explorer (intriguing, but I've become rather attached to strange and wonderful things like food, a roof over my head and a bank account);

or

3. You all become MUCH more boring so I'm not faced with this dilemma in the first place.

Given the relative unlikelihood of Options 2 & 3 coming about, it looks like I won't have time to keep up with everyone all the time. So, here's a few questions for all you more experienced bloggers out there:

- How much time do you typically spend blogging each day? Do you restrict yourself?

- What are your strategies for navigating the blogosphere? First, for keeping track of your favorites and, second, for finding "new and exciting" blogs?

and, finally,

- What is the etiquette around adding a comment to an older posting on someone's blog? Is there any point in commenting on something that has been superceded by a newer entry? How far back can you go? Can you "interrupt" a current comment stream (is that the same thing as a meme? What is a meme exactly, anyway?) with a comment about an older post if you introduce it as such?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with this blogging newbie.

6 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

Well, work and responsibility always comes first, so I tend to blog when it is quiet or when I get home. I generally comment on all my fave sites, but it takes a while to catch up as some people will blog daily to several times a day, when i only do some every few days.

the only warning, is that it is highly addictive ::sigh::

 
At 2:28 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

My job is really, really, really quiet at the moment, so I spend too much time blogging. Otherwise it's done during lunch or when I first get to the office.

I find new blogs by reading the comments on other blogs that I read. If they seem interesting, I look at their page. Or they comment on mine.
Otherwise I leaf through the great blogs I've linked from my page.

I sometimes comment on old posts, but never expect a reply; i never keep track of anything older than my last 2.
And I wouldn't interject into a new comment line about an old post - not sure why, but it seems a bit rude?

BTW, keep blogging- you're a good read, and too new to stop.
:)

 
At 2:57 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

I usually blog during lunch at work, and then maybe once more later in the day before I leave---whatever time permits and as something hits me that seems worthy of blogging about.

I do what Dickey does re: finding blogs based on comments, as well as blogs recommended to me by friends, and occasionally blogs that are featured in a search engine as interesting and unique. The blogs I check regularly, though are generally people I either know or who read mine somewhat regularly.

And I usually don't comment on anything more than two entries old either...I figure that has "expired" in the way of conversation... UNLESS the blogger writes infrequently and comments seem to drip in slowly... I usually just go with my gut.

Have fun blogging, and do it as often as time permits, but don't get in trouble at work or behind in your life!! :)

 
At 4:08 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

Hi. My names Greg, and I'm a blog-whore. When I'm actually being a responsible blogger, I just type a little in the morning,save as draft, and maybe finish it at lunch. Its really easy to get caught up in all the great blogs. So I try to seperate my posting, and the time I spend reading.

 
At 2:37 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Epi - "Work and responsiblity always come first?" I know you're right, but really ... what a sad comment about the way we live!

St. Dickeybird - Thanks very much for the advice and the encouragement. And I agree with you about commenting about an old post in a new thread. I saw it done once and had the same reaction. It's a bit like breaking in on a conversation, isn't it?

Susan - Thanks for the good advice about managing my blogging habit. I can definitely see it getting out of control if I'm not careful. But you're still on my "read every day" list!

Greg - I really like the idea of splitting up blog reading and writing. I'll definitely give it a try. The only problem is that I'm so bloody long-winded that my comments usually end up as long as the original post!

 
At 4:27 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Glad to see you're back. I was going to call tonight to make sure you were still breathing! (Not that you need anyone to keep tabs on you or anything.)

I'll try and take your good advice to only blog when I have something worth saying. Of course, that's usually once every 10 or 12 years or so ... so it should be easy to keep up, at least!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home