Thursday, January 19, 2006

Shh! Don't tell any anyone ...

So,Snooze tagged me to list three things about myself that no one knows.

I had to think about it for a while since, frankly, I lead a pretty boring life and I don't have many -- ok, ANY -- secrets that make interesting reading. I mean, would anyone care that I still own -- and regularly wear -- a pair of shoes I bought in high school (Mary Janes with a 3-inch heel)? Nope, didn't think so.

So, here's what I came up with. (Don't laugh ... well, ok, you can laugh, but don't let me hear you ...)

1. If I'm all alone for a day, my favourite thing to do is break open a giant bag of Cheezies and read trashy romance novels - the more formulaic the better. I particularly like ones with cowboys in them -- maybe it's the horses, I don't know. I know this doesn't sound like a real secret, but I'm still trying to shake off the lit-snob veneer I picked up as an English major in university. BTW, I loathe Earnest Hemmingway and think critical theory is a crock.

2. I slept with two stuffed animals every night until I moved in with my then-boyfriend (now husband) at age 22. Teddy is a rather smooshed-looking racoon, and Edward the II is a polar bear named after my invisible friend who lived in the chimney when I was little. I still have my stuffed animals, but I'm not sure where the real imaginary Edward is these days. We've lost touch.

3. I had my first real hangover just over two months ago (I'm 37). It's not that I don't drink, I just never drank enough to get hung over before then. The occassion, for those of you who haven't passed out from laughing so hard, was a girls-only weekend with two old friends from grad school. I did not throw up, but I played piano (badly) and sang (worse) for several hours and ended up lying on the floor completely unable to lift my head or speak in coherent sentences. The following day I had a nasty headache, felt like I was chewing wool every time I opened my mouth, and still had trouble lifting my head. Interesting experience, but I don't know if I'll bother repeating it. Then again, we had so much fun, my friends and I are planning to make our weekend away an annual event!

In turn, I will tag Susan as Herself and Sister StaceyPatrick, since they're the only two people I'm sure will read this!

8 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Personally I'm very impressed that you still have a cool sounding pair of shoes from high school.

Great list! I love your Cheezie/romance day and I too am not a Hemmingway fan. When I was in Havana I refused to go and visit his estate (except I love the fact he has his cats all looked after)

 
At 9:37 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

Edward the II now lives with me. He has a nice job with the rock and roll hall of fame

 
At 11:06 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

That was quite insightful. I love cheezies and cowboys too! What a coincidence...lol

 
At 11:26 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Interesting... I have never read a romance novel! And, I consider myself tagged...

 
At 12:38 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Snooze - I'm so glad I've impressed you with my sartorial longevity (that's "really old wardrobe" for those of you who don't happen to be lit-snobs!) I'm sure we could bond over our mutual dislike of Hemmingway. Who knows, I might even let you borrow my shoes ...

Greg - Thanks very much for the update on my old friend Edward. Say hi for me when you next see him, and let him know I haven't run into a moving car for YEARS now (old story). Although, I must admit I always thought Edward was more of a jazz aficionado -- polar bears can be so fickle!

Epi - I've always known you have great taste. Ok. You can DEFINITELY borrow my shoes!

Susan - With such a fabulous imagination at your disposal, you have no need to rely on romance novels to escape from reality. Me, I've always been a sucker for a happy ending!

 
At 1:52 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger ink said...

P.S. Susan - Tag! You're it!

 
At 9:37 PM, January 21, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

well, you did a hell of a lot better than my list...

 
At 10:55 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Well, you TOLD me to start a blog ... so it's really your own fault now, isn't it!

Manja - I don't know. I think "ummm" and "ahhh" are perfectly reasonable responses to impertinent questions. Additional insightful observations -- courtesy of INK -- available on your very own blog-site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home