Friday, January 27, 2006

Rules to live by ... or not

I’ve been rummaging around in my sub-conscious quite a bit lately (yes, there’s a bigger story here, but not one I’m prepared to share with you right now), and am somewhat amazed at the things I’ve run across in the crowded, dusty attic of my mind. I’ve recently unearthed – underneath the patch of vinyl wallpaper I “accidentally” melted with a heat lamp, and behind a particulary painful memory of a junior high piano recital (brrrr!) – some of the fundamental “rules" I learned (maybe too well, sometimes!) when I was a rugrat.

I don’t necessarily endorse these rules – in fact, some of them I’ve found to be positively destructive in my own life (for instance, I was 20 years old before I tried Kraft Dinner, and I am, apparently, a wanna-be perfectionist). Others, however, I think are pretty useful guidance for this weird and wonderful thing we call life.

So, both good and bad, fundamental and trivial, I present you with the first installment of The Rules I Live By … whether I want to or not:

1. Work first. Play later.
2. Take care of others before you take care of yourself.
3. The only person you need to measure up to is yourself – so always do your best.
4. You don’t have to be like everybody else.
5. Always keep the house tidy and the cookie jar full. You never know when someone will drop by.
6. Make the most of your natural gifts and talents – whatever they may be.
7. A woman should always have money of her own (i.e. money nobody else can touch).
8. You are stronger, more logical, and more practical than most of the men in your life, so you need to make allowances for them.
9. Homemade macaroni and cheese is better and cheaper than Kraft Dinner.
10. Going outside without underwear on is NOT ACCEPTABLE – especially when you are wearing a skirt.
11. Play by the rules. And if you don't, at least don't lie when you get caught. It only makes things worse. Much worse.
12. There are few things in life that cannot be made better by a nice hot cup of tea, a hug and some freshly baked scones.

8 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

I agree especially with #7. I would even take it a little farther so it includes having enough to support me in the random chance I show up.

 
At 3:16 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger dantallion said...

LOL - These are great. #9 is absolutely true. However, there are exceptions to #10 (although I've never worn a skirt, myself).

 
At 3:44 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Ooooh. I have definitely broken rule #10---not often mind you, but... well, never mind.

And yeah, I'm not big on Kraft Dinner---ate too much of it in college. Plus the last time I prepared it, a dried worm that almost looked like one of the noodles came out of the box---I only noticed it cuz it floated on the top and didn't sink like the noodles. BLECK.

 
At 11:04 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

I love 12. Tea can warm the soul can't it? #5 should be keep the bar full. ;)

 
At 12:45 PM, January 30, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Greg - I didn't realize you had an ambition to be a kept man, but I doubt you'd have any trouble convincing some lovely lady out there to spend her hard-won cash and/or ill-gotten-gains on you. Good luck and keep me posted.

Dantallion - I agree completely that there are exceptions to every rule (except, of course, the mac & cheese one - which should be etched in letters of flame several kilometres high). I'm working on changing Rule #10 to more of a "gentle suggestion" but haven't managed to slip it by the good old super-ego yet. I'll keep you posted.

Susan - You are, as always, an inspiration to me. What kind of skirt were you wearing? And as for the KD story ... EEEEW!

Sister - Good to know you're always there to keep me on the not-quite-straight and not-so-narrow! Thanks! *hug*

Epi - Tea is a truly magic elixir, isn't it? I'd be happy to brew you a pot (and make the scones!) if you ever get up to Ottawa. ... But, now that you mention it, it's funny how my Mum didn't say anything about keeping the bar full when I was growing up and learning all these life lessons. Clearly I had a deprived childhood!

 
At 1:08 PM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Thankfully, each time I broke the no underwear rule, I was wearing a longish skirt... And to my knowledge nobody was aware of my "condition." But I must admit, it was a bit exciting, especially when I walked over one of those grates in the sidewalk where air comes out from the subway...

 
At 4:47 PM, January 30, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Susan - LOL! I can SO picture you doing the Marilyn Monroe thing!

 
At 8:13 AM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

Actually, My petition to be a kept man is repeatedly denied. I will continue my quest, but thus far, the results have not been favorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home