Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Not good at good enough

You may (or may not) have heard the saying, "Good enough for government work." Well, I may be good enough to work for government, but I’m not good at Good Enough.

[Ed’s Note – The phrase “good enough for government work” is a traditional saying, and should in no way be taken as a criticism of the public service or the government at large. We are proud to recognise the high standards and quality work of the vast majority of public servants. Please don’t sue me. Thank you.]

Perhaps a better, if less linguistically satisfying, way of saying the same thing is that I like to do things well (well, as well as I can anyhow), and I become profoundly irritated when I am rushed to complete a task in what I consider to be a less than adequate amount of time.

Ok, perhaps an even better way to say it is as follows: I don’t like deadlines, at least not ones I haven’t made myself.

This is a problem because I am, at heart, a plodder. I am “all tortoise all the time.” I would be a shoo-in (shoe-in?) for the Meanderer’s Olympics. I am kin to sloth, koala, and Heinz ketchup (anyone remember that old commercial “An-ti-ci-pa-a-tion?”).

In other words, I do things in my own sweet time. And I like it that way.

The world, by and large, does not.

On February 8th (Confessions of a Word Junkie), I wrote, ‘… in a society which sees speed as a virtue in itself, in which the art of discourse and rhetoric have been replaced by the sound-bite and bullet points, brevity has indeed become "the soul of wit"(Shakespeare) - even at the expense of meaning.’ I am convinced speed is the ultimate modern virtue: more important than truth; more important than skill; and certainly more important than quality.

You know what I say to that? “Bollocks!”

I am tired of being forced into doing a half-assed job because of arbitrary (and generally impossible) deadlines or because someone, somewhere didn’t think through the process properly in the first place. I CARE about my work, damn it. When I produce something, I want it to be the best “fill-in-the-blank-here” that I can make it. I want to do the research properly, to think about the appropriate structure, to use exactly the right words, to produce a layout that is effective and consistent. In other words, I want to make sure that the things I create will actually do the job they’re supposed to do in the first place.

And all that takes time. Too much time, mostly.

So, as a result I rarely get the opportunity to do a truly good job. “Good enough” seems to be all there’s time for – and everybody seems impressed with the results but me. Maybe “good enough” is all that’s necessary most of the time. Maybe it’s more productive not to waste time on excellence when it’s not absolutely required. Maybe everything doesn’t need to be up to that “gold standard.” I’m sure that’s all true -- but I really don’t care.

You see, my work is – under all circumstances – a reflection of who I am. And I am not, and will never be, “good enough.” I am better. Much, much better.

So there.

8 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

It sounds like you need to let yourself off the hook more. Of course, I've got the opposite problem, always rushing to get things done. When I was a young boy, my father didn't approve of my method of brushing my teeth. He used a an old label maker (you know with the dial that had all the letters on it) to create a sign which spent years on the bathroom mirror:

Don't do it the easy way, do it the best way.

And to this day, I'm still working on that.

 
At 10:10 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Good is good. Mediocre means that later on, someone will have to take the time to improve it. And they'll make you look/feel useless.

Do your best, always. That way you can always be proud of yourself.

 
At 1:25 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

If the person requesting the results is satisfied, then you've done an excellent job. Perfection is for hobbies.

 
At 2:44 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Hmmmmm. Perfection is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder. I was raised to always do my best and apply my full self, but also to be on time, prompt, courteous, and proud enough of whatever I did to put my name on it. This is a lot of pressure most of the time.

Over the years I have learned to pick my priorities for knocking myself out for perfection....otherwise I'd be burned out, exhausted, and resentful. But it's an ongoing battle...

 
At 5:42 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Thanks for the reality check, everyone. It seems pretty clear I need to ease up on my perfectionism, but I think St. D. has a point when he says "do your best, always."

I guess I just need to learn to distinguish between "the best I can do under the circumstances" and "the best I can do."

Too bad. I was hoping to make god-like status by the end of the year and everything!

 
At 8:55 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

I'll bet you are a phenomenal lover.

 
At 9:24 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

so, what you're saying is i'm a freak because i actually kind of like it when i get asked to turn a briefing note around in an hour or two... (for the record, i actually already know that makes me a freak so you, and all your blog readers, are the first person/people i've ever told.)

i've always heard "good enough for union work", i've never heard it as "good enough for government work"

 
At 1:56 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - You are, as always, a font of good advice [o.k., a really CUTE font of good advice - :)]. In most areas of my life I don't have a problem with "pick your battles," probably because there are very few things about which I passionately care. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) writing is one of those few areas, and I still have a hard time detaching myself from any of the texts I create. I know, I know. I'm working on it. Promise!

Snooze - I don't think I know you (or the rest of blogdom, for that matter) well enough to respond directly to that particular statement ... but thank you very much for the vote of confidence! :)

Manja - Well, you probably know best of course, but I gotta say "freak" is not the first word that leaps to mind when I think of you. Honestly, I wish I was a person who thrives under pressure -- but I just get stressed out, cranky, and whiny. Not fun - either to be or to be around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home