Friday, March 24, 2006

It all started when ...

As I mentioned in my last post, I'll be away on training all next week so I probably won't have much opportunity to keep in touch with all my blogging friends out there. So, to keep you amused in my absence - and me amused upon my return - I'm going to leave you with a few questions that occurred to me while reading the responses to Snooze 's recent post on Perception vs. Reality [besides, I'm sick & tired of writing about my blasted leg!]:

1. Do you know (in person) any of the people you blog with? If so, how did you meet? Was it before or after you started blogging?

2. If you've never met any of your cyber-friends in the flesh (or even if you have), how did you come to have your current blog "gang?"

3. Why did you start a blog in the first place?

And just to show I can take it as well as dish it out, here are my answers:

1. I met Sister StaceyPatrick the first day of Grade 9. We were, if I'm remembering correctly, paired up in science class. I was tall, shy, and extremely geeky while the Sister was vivacious and funny and had this whole artsy-cool thing going on. I found out her evil step-mother had been my evil teacher in Grade 7/8. She discovered my rather warped sense of humour, and a bond was born. My parents (and I) loved her because she encouraged me to do things a normal teen would do - shop (the Sister bullied me into buying my very first pair of tight jeans), go to parties (including my one and only pool party), concerts (Gowan at Canada's Wonderland), and dances. Oh yeah, she taught me to ski, too. Somehow we kept in touch through the university years, and by then ... well ... the habit was hard to break.

I haven't met in person anyone I've chatted with in blogdom ... yet!

2. I met virtually all my cyber-friends through Sister StaceyPatrick's blog.

3. The good Sister hounded me until I gave in (personally, I think she was just tired of me hogging all the space on her comment page!). Well, that is PART of the reason anyhow. I also began blogging because I wanted to remember what it was like to write for fun rather than work, to explore some of the thoughts flickering about in my mind, and simply to see if I could create some new connections with the world. ... But that's a story for another time.

So, there we are. A little more about me is floating through cyberspace. Your turn!

6 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, March 25, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

1. Do you know (in person) any of the people you blog with? If so, how did you meet? Was it before or after you started blogging?

Actually, I do know two of my blog-friends one from here and one from Livejournal (I have multiple blogs). Both of them used to date a friends of mine (one when I grew up in NY state and the other when I lived in Ohio). The one from Ohio actually found me when I posted a comment on someone else's blog whom she just happened to read. We'd been out of touch since I'd moved from Ohio to Illinois so it was cool to get back in touch with her. The other one is an old high school friend. She dated one of my best friends in high school. I keep in better touch with her than I do with him. But she and I sort of can't help it. Her aunt married my brother. So we tend to bump into each other when I happen to be visiting my brother's family at the same time as his in-laws. Some of my old high school friends have myspace.com blogs (I have one too, but I don't really keep that one up).

2. If you've never met any of your cyber-friends in the flesh (or even if you have), how did you come to have your current blog "gang?"

My livejournal blog gang are a bunch of people who generally share similar musical interests (Chicago, Toto, Genesis)... But I also have some blogfriends with whom we just seemed to be kindred spirits.

3. Why did you start a blog in the first place?

I love to write, I needed an outlet for it.

 
At 7:02 AM, March 25, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

Dip your quill!? That's great although could be a double entendre?

Am I supposed to answer all those too? Okay,
#1 yes, before and after
#2 why not ask how a cloud gathers
#3 vanity of course

 
At 11:43 AM, March 27, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

1. I knew 3 of my links before blogging. I've met 3 others since mine started.

2. Just through links and comments on blogs I like.

3. I had a really boring job, and wanted something to pass my time. I didn't expect to blog twice. Who knew - I like to voice my opinion???? lol

 
At 1:01 PM, March 28, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

I know a couple of the people that comment on my blog, but most of the people who read it (or at least TELL me they do) don't post comments. Occasionally they send me an email about a posting. I call them wussies for this. I have yet to meet anyone I met in cyberspace through this blog, and I indeed hope to someday. As far as why I blog, well it's a combination of being annoyed for several years by friends who told me I should, and by a desire to get in on the hot blogging action. I believe that blogs are the future, and Whitney Houston should write a song about THAT.

 
At 2:59 PM, March 28, 2006, Blogger epicurist said...

So you and sister go quite a ways back huh? How cool is that!

 
At 7:40 AM, April 01, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

I love reading about your friendship with Sister Staceypatrick, both here and on her blog. Friendships like that are worth the world.

Interesting questions you posted. My answers...
1. 5 before, 8 after
2. As with Dickey, links and comments on blogs I like. One I found by clicking the 'next' button at the top of the screen. We've met, but I don't link to him [he's private]
3. Everyone else was doing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home