Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Footloose and fancy free

Well, I have been officially cast-free for a full week now, and am pleased to report my foot goes up, my foot goes down, and it even goes from side to side a little bit. I am walking – slowly (and with approximately the same grace as a sea-lion on land) but steadily for the most part – and am very relieved not to have to depend on crutches any longer.

The bone itself is 90% healed, although the soft tissue around my ankle and foot remains quite swollen. According to my doctor, while bones typically heal in 5-8 weeks, ligaments and muscles can take up to 3 months to recover. With any luck, physiotherapy should speed up the process somewhat.

I began treatment yesterday afternoon, seeing the same therapist I’d said goodbye to in late February after she successfully treated my tendonitis. It was a little embarrassing to be back so soon, to be honest, but everyone at the clinic was quite sympathetic and said they’d been seeing a lot of similar injuries this year as a result of all the freeze-and-thaw cycles we’ve been having. (Ok, I know they’re professionally sympathetic, but it’s still nice to hear I’m not alone in my klutzdom!)

Since this was a brand new injury, I naturally had to fill out a set of brand new forms (ones which just happened to look exactly the same as the ones I’d filled out last time). The last form, though, was an assessment sheet for the injury – one of those “Rate from 0-5 your level of difficulty in doing the following ….”

Now, I didn’t have any issue with most of the questions (e.g., going up and down stairs, performing light housework, standing for 1 hour, walking for 30 min., and so on). But when I got to the items “Running rapidly,” “Making sharp turns while running rapidly,” and “Hopping,” I wasn’t entirely sure what to answer – since I hadn’t been stupid enough to attempt to do any of those things in the first place! I mean, I suppose I could run, jump and make sharp turns if I was, say, being chased by a rogue elephant or one of those people who want you to donate to Greenpeace. Otherwise … I think not.

On the bright side, my therapist says she thinks I should see significant improvement in mobility and comfort over the next couple of weeks as the swelling in the ankle goes down. To achieve this laudable goal, MY job is to: (1) keep my leg raised as much as possible; (2) put ice on the ankle every hour or two when practical – or, alternatively, use contrasting baths of warm & cold water; and (3) do a series of exercises several times a day, among which is my favourite – the classic “drawing the alphabet with your foot!” (A … B … C … Draw with me now. C’mon, you know you want to!)

HER job is to stick a half-dozen large (2”) suction cups on my ankle and foot, turn on a machine the size of a barbeque – that does NOT go “ping” even! – and leave for 15 minutes. The suction cups not only suck – literally – on the affected limb (they’re designed to create a vacuum), but send electric currents through the affected area. In other words, yup – I’m undergoing shock treatment! (There’s a few of you out there who may not be entirely surprised at this occurrence.)

Still, despite looking like my leg has been attacked by a giant squid, it’s not really so bad. And my therapist says she should have me up and running again within a few weeks. So, beware all you rogue elephants and Greenpeace activists. Ink is on the march! Almost!

12 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Arggghh. I know the feeling of going to a physical therapist for ankle issues....that was me, about a year and a half ago. I didn't have shock treatments, though, as mine was not broken (just badly sprained...) Instead I had to stand on my bad foot and pick a little ball off the floor in front of me and set it on the floor far off to my left and right. Easier said than done when your ankle is wobbling like a stick made of jello. I'm glad that's over, and I hope your time goes quickly. (Oh, and I wouldn't hop or run at a sharp turn willingly either.)

 
At 3:44 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

I initially misread your post as you being "CAT-free" for a week and was trying to figure out why feline deprivation had anything to do with your mobility. Then I re-read your post and smacked my forehead and called myself an AssDerby (I may be an Asshat sometimes, but at least I'm an asshat with style).

 
At 5:57 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger standing said...

Ohhh my....So sorry to hear of your current state. If the suction cups leave a mark, let me know and I will immediately write a convincing post on how this is the latest, hippest form of body modification. Nothing screams 'hardcore' like electric shock therapy.

If it were me you'd be doing an ' imported chocolates and old musicals' therapy. (Let me know if you ever need details on this VERY strict, time honored healing tradition. I'm a pro.)

 
At 7:24 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

Nice to have you back and in walking shape, good to hear. I imagine that you would heal just the same without the sucky-electricity machine, I've never even heard of such a thing. What did they do fifty years ago?

 
At 10:35 AM, April 13, 2006, Blogger mainja said...

*claps hands with glee*

 
At 2:45 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Glad to hear your healing is progressing so well.

 
At 5:01 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Susan - That sounds far too complicated for the likes of me. At least I get to lie down!

Perplexio - LOL! If you knew my cats, you'd understand exactly how much they have to do with limiting my mobility. Have YOU ever tried to get down a flight of stairs with one cat sitting on your shoulders, another curled in your arms, and a third lying on every step (when you shove him off, he just lies down on the next step.)

Standing - Welcome! Anyone who believes in the univeral health benefits of imported chocolates and old musicals has clearly achieve that state of higher wisdom to which we all aspire. As for my new "body art," I certainly appreciate any attempts to make me appear fashionable (yup, "hardcore" - that's just, so ... ME!)

Tornwordo - Fifty years ago I think physical therapy generally involved leeches ... and sharp pointy sticks. BTW, "sucky-electricity machine" - LOL! I think I'll call it that the next time I go in. Of course then they might dial up the voltage!

Manja - Yeah for me! *hops up and down with glee* ... Oops! Oh, DAMN!

Snooze - I'm pretty pleased myself. Thanks!

 
At 6:31 PM, April 13, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

I'll admit my experience with cats is rather limited.

I had an ex-girlfriend whose cat would head butt me to wake me up to feed it whenever I slept over. And one of her other cats would run and hide whenever I entered the room during the day but at night would find me and curl up next to me. My ex never believed me when I tried to tell her that cat actually liked me and he only actually showed it when no one else around (he perpetually made a liar out of me).

Oh and my parents Beagle, I swear she may be a dog but she acts like a regular housecat. Rather finicky and fussy and quite independent.

And my in-laws have a cat, Moxie, they refer to as a "traitor." In the past Moxie didn't take kindly to strangers. The first time I went to visit them. We were watching TV and he came over and jumped up onto my lap and laid down.

Personally I may prefer dogs, but it would seem that cats seem to prefer me to other humans for some odd reason.

 
At 9:49 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

Perplexio: You probably show no interest in cats so they naturally migrate to you because they don't feel threatened. Those of us who love cats are constantly in their face which can be intimidating.

 
At 12:15 PM, April 14, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

snooze: Interesting theory. You may be onto something. :-)

 
At 12:44 PM, April 18, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Sister - Hmmm. Maybe I can propose the "grain of rice" approach to my therapist. Sure sounds a lot less uncomfortable than the sucky-electricity machine!

 
At 11:06 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger EarthMother said...

I have to admit that like Perplexio, I initially read "cat-free" as well.
The suction machine sounds mildly torturous. You'd think in this day and age, they'd come up with something better.
Hope you're up and running around or hopping about within short order.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home