Friday, April 07, 2006

To think that I saw it on ... the Queensway

It was raining this morning as I drove in to work. A good soaking rain, my Mum would call it.

It's still a bit early around here for the grass to have greened up or the trees to be showing leaves - so between the lead-grey skies, grey-brown trees, brown-grey grass, grey road and stream of dark rain-soaked vehicles, I suppose it's not terribly surprising my attention was caught by the flash of bubble-gum pink about 6 or 7 cars ahead of me in the other lane. Pink cars are not all that common around fusty old Ottawa at the best of times, and this morning the colour contrasted beautifully with all the blah-ness of the morning commute.

Nice, I thought to myself. There's someone who's choosing to be a bit different. Not a colour I could personally live with ... but still, good for her, I thought.

At least until I passed her.

The car was a little two-seater hatchback convertible (I'm not sure what kind - maybe a VW Golf or something like it). It was indeed a bright bubble-gum pink ... so far so good. But what really caught my eye was the fuchsia-pink, SEQUINED licence plate cover and the name "Jessica" air-brushed in a circle of little stars and ribbons just above the back bumper. Yup - this vehicle was a life-sized Barbie car.

With Barbie herself driving it, to boot. Platinum blonde hair, carefully styled, make-up perfect (from what I could see), and a pair of enormous sunglasses - remember, it's pouring rain! - with thick, white plastic rims.

It was all just too much. What had first appeared to be a rather fun nudge-nudge, wink-wink at the general stodginess of Ottawa society had become something else entirely. The very completeness of Jessica's packaging disturbed me. To all appearances, she was the embodiment of the brainless, blonde, good-time girl. It may not have accurately reflected the person inside, but it was clearly the image she had deliberately chosen for herself. This was the way she wanted to be seen by the world.

Admittedly, for all I know, Jessica was a pre-med student with a genius IQ who worked with inner-city youth and volunteered her time a homeless shelter. And perhaps I am being overly censorious about other people's lifestyle decisions.

But, at that moment, I wanted to pull Jessica out of her car, give her a good shake, and say "Think about this for a minute, child. Is this really who you are? Is this really who you want to be? Show me a sign that there's more to you than candy-colours and a slavish imitation of Paris Hilton." I wanted to explain that she could be more than a stereotype without losing her sense of fun ... that she didn't need sparkles and big white sunglasses to be noticed ... that if she was old enough to have her own car, she was old enough to leave behind the fashion and lifestyle preferences of an 8-year-old.

I didn't, of course. And I doubt I would ever be that presumptuous, even given the opportunity. People need to find their own way after all. But still, is it just me, or isn't it a bit bizarre that while (some) little girls are dressing - and sometimes acting - like hookers, (some) adult women are dressing - and sometimes acting - like characters from a Saturday morning cartoon?

13 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger Perplexio said...

She's a Barbie girl in a Barbie World....

 
At 3:17 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger tornwordo said...

I don't know whether to pity, despise, or laugh at her. Reminds me of people who live there adult lives in baby clothes and diapers, there's clubs and everything. Yipes.

 
At 3:35 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

OK, is it bad to want that car? Haha----that would be a TRIP driving that to work everyday. But, like you said, I think it's overill when the person inside looks like what you described. I think it would have been much more fun to see a big, hairy, burly man in a flannel shirt driving that car. And let's give the Barbie girl a Hummer.

 
At 4:38 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Women like Jessica scare me. And make me love men more.

 
At 4:39 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

And yeah, i kinda want the car too.

 
At 7:31 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger standing said...

" isn't it a bit bizarre that while (some) little girls are dressing - and sometimes acting - like hookers, (some) adult women are dressing - and sometimes acting - like characters from a Saturday morning cartoon?"

I think that they are often the same women.....they just went from needing daddy to marrying daddy. It actually makes me quite sad. One day maybe Jessica will kick as much ass as glitter.

 
At 5:18 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Snooze said...

I find it kind of charming myself. I also love the Hello Kitty cars my friend used to see in Taiwan.

 
At 9:44 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Perplexio - Nail, meet head. Head, this is nail. Why don't you two get to know each other a little better ... :)

Tornwordo - I have very mixed feelings as well. I'm always hesitant to judge a book by its cover. After all, the world benefits from diversity. But I was struck by Jessica's ... what ... implicit cultishness? wholesale voluntary stereotyping? (I'm not even entirely sure).

Susan - LOL! Well, ok, you can have the car ... you can even have the sparkly licence plate cover ... but if you start calling yourself - or your car - "Susie," I'm leaving! ;)

St. D - See my comment to Susan above. ... And yes, if you start calling yourself Susie, I am SO gone! I mean it! - :)

Standing - Welcome! It's always a pleasure to hear from a fellow writer ... especially one who knits. It hadn't really occurred to me that these two phenomena are, in many cases, part of a continuum - one where being the object of (male) attention is the primary goal. Intriguing idea - and one I would like to consider in more depth.

Snooze - I agree with you. It IS charming. The whole package is carefully designed to be charming ... and disarming - and, under other circumstances, I would have simply enjoyed the spectacle and wished Jessica well. But my concern is that the armour with which she has chosen to face the world is inadequate, and that she is limiting herself by her decision to present herself - a grown woman - as a life-sized doll. But then, what do I know. Being a life-sized doll has payed off pretty well for lots of women (and a few men, too).

 
At 9:53 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

I was hoping the story would have ended with you encouraging her off the road, in to a tree. Happy Monday!

 
At 9:55 AM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Greg the Surly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:20 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Greg - Sometimes you're a bad, bad man! :) (As if I would risk damaging my car!)

 
At 1:39 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger dantallion said...

Oooo, a Parliament Barbie sighting. Canad really is coming into the 21st century

 
At 1:58 PM, April 12, 2006, Blogger ink said...

Hey, Dan, didn't you hear ... Canada is COOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home